Montag, 1. September 2014

Foodie Berlin: Crêpes Suzette

One year after my beautiful trip to Nantes, I am still looking for the original taste of the salted caramel. I know that it's only my fault for not taking the first plane back to France, but I promise to repent looking for the best places to have an original 'crepe' in Berlin. While inspecting Pappellallee back and forth a couple of weeks ago, I discovered the Crepes Suzette, but they were on vacation at the time. One week after, I was back to check how much Bretagne I can find in each crepe. 
The first encounter was sweeter than expected: we chose our dishes from TinTin books, to whose pages were added menus with various sweet and salty options. There are special lunch menus and galettes du jour - made according to the high standards of the French art, of course. 
There are a lot of places outside, but for the time being, taking a seat indoors is wise - giving the weather forecasts. The interior looks clean, simple, with wooden table and a lot of publications to browse till the crepes are ready. 
As for me, I preferred to find out more about the history of the 'crepes Suzettes'. As any serious invention, they were created by accident, in Monte Carlo, by the 14-year old Henri Carpentier in 1895. While preparing the pancakes fro the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward of England, the alcohol from the sauce where the premade pancakes needed to be soaked - together with orange peel and sugar - caught fire. Out of time, he served those pancakes to the distinguished guests that were delighted. Initially called 'Crepes Princesse', the name was changed to Suzette, in the memory of the young daughter of the Prince - some might say she was rather the lover. Regardless of the circumstances, the crêpes made their entry into the culinary history and are there to stay. 
Now, that I've learned something new for the day, it was about time to reward myself with something tasty. The service was fast and friendly, with French and German joyous conversations. My creme salée Caramel Bretagne pancake was big, with a fine texture - I was able to feel the good combination between eggs and flour - adorned with the very sweet Caramel sauce. The salt was moderated in the advantage of the sugarly layer. One can also add some icecream to the dish, which can be a good option for the hot summer days.
As for me, I was happy to have back into my palate the sweet Nantes memories. Given also the pleasant service, I might be very tempted to return for a new culinary experience in the near future.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also I’m glad to search out numerous helpful information here in the put up, we’d like develop extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. Unterkunft Frankfurt-Oder

    AntwortenLöschen